Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hamsters...Rest In Peace



We have all had hamsters at least once or knew someone who did. Do they always have such tragic "endings"? There was the funniest segment on the radio on this topic. (Click here to listen to it.) Please share your stories. Here are two of mine.

My parents bought my sister and I two of them one year for Christmas. They were fun at first and really cute, but then the cage started to stink and they would keep us up all night long running on their wheel. One day one of them went crazy and attacked the other. He chewed off a couple of his legs and an eye. My sister and I were freaked out! My dad took them to "set them free" and years later I found out he actually put them out of their misery. (I'll spare you those details)

My sophomore year in college, my roommates and I got two hamsters. We thought they would be a good, easy pet. I don't know what we were thinking. A week later one had babies...10 BABIES! We then had 12 hamsters and the pet store wouldn't take any back. We gave a few away to girls in the ward. They were really cute at first but then they went insane. They would hiss, run around the cage, and escape all the time. One night my roommate and I took the hamsters, cage and all, and let them all free in a park in Provo. It snowed that night.

Are all hamsters experiences so tramatic? Are they even a good pet to get your kids? Speaking from lots of experience, I would strongly discourage it! :)

7 comments:

Charlie said...

Hamster killer!

Anonymous said...

By the way, you need to elaborate on what you mean by "he actually put them out of the misery." What did he do?

Jessica Tingey said...

I've always been afraid of animals, but growing up I always had hamsters, probably because it was the least scary animal of all the animals you could have (besides fish, but they always ate eachother or jumped out of the tank). Usually I would name my hamsters "Maddy" everytime. I remember one time one of the Maddys got stuck between the wheel and cage wires and died. We always buried the hamsters in the backyard, and one night when a Maddy died, we found Oliver sitting by the grave crying. Hamsters for life!!!

Stephanie said...

Charlie, if you must know, he threw them as hard as he could against the block wall. Quick, painless death...Poor things! Haha!

Anonymous said...

As a freshman living in the BYU dorms, I was homesick. So some guy brought me a hamster. I kept it in the bathtub for a while because he ate his way out of everything. We named it Cornflake. One night, our dorm mother announced that a hamster was found IN HER TRASHCAN. I finally got brave enough to claim it and then my little brothers and sisters got a new pet.

Charlie said...

Steph, I think we can see where you learned to "let my hamster free." You know, I have never had a pet. In my first apartment at BYU (where I met JD and Dave), we had a fish and we named him Survivor. Why did we name him Survivor? Because we never fed him and lived for the longest time. Then, finally after many months, he died.

Rachel said...

That was one of my all time funniest posts. Hilarious. I can't even remember all of the horrible ways we lost our pet hamsters, but I know we had at least five and I don't know what happened to any of them.