
In the last few months, I have thought a lot about death. No, I don't want to die, but I wonder what it would be like to know you were going to die. How differently would you see yourself, your life, the world? I imagine you would have the most clear perspective on life, appreciate all the little things, and not worry so much about the big things.
I love the idea of a person, at the end of his life, telling you everything he knows, what he has learned, what he regrets, what he wish he did more of, and what he wasted too much time on. Who wouldn't love that kind of insight? How different would we be? What wisdom would you share with the world if you knew it would be your last chance?
Recently,there was a speech given by a Professor, Randy Pausch, who was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and given only a few months to live. He titled his talk "Last Lecture". The speech was so inspiring that he quickly became a media sensation all over the world. He was even on Oprah! After hearing all the hype, I watched his talk online and it was so moving! He had so many great life lessons to share. Here are a few of my favorite things he said that I LOVED!
- Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things and let us show our dedication; they are not to keep us out, but to stop the people who don't want it badly enough.
- Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
- Find the best in everybody; no matter how long you have to wait for them to show it.
- Be prepared: "luck" is where preparation meets opportunity.
- Don't complain just work harder.
- Be good at something, it makes you more valuable.
- Wait long enough and people will surprise and impress you. When you're angry with people, you haven't given them enough time.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
The Inspiring Death Perspective
Posted by
Stephanie
at
10:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment